CCAD offers internship search assistance through individual appointments, CCADCareers.com, the Internship & Job Fair, R.O.C. Show presentations, class visits, portfolio reviews and more.
Once you've secured an internship, it may be possible to earn academic credit with your internship by simultaneously enrolling in the Internship 4851 course.
The Internship 4851 course is designed to help you increase and develop your practical knowledge while applying classroom theory to real-world problems. A portion of the course requirements are on-site work hours and the remaining are writing and a presentation to facilitate your learning. This class is restricted to students with approved internships.
Internship 4851 is a pass/not pass course. You must complete all requirements and earn at least 75% to pass. The syllabus, assignments and deadlines are posted on GoStudio. Coursework includes:
- Work for a minimum of 240 hours within 8-16 weeks under the supervision of a professional in your industry.
- Construct 5+ learning objectives for your experience and detail how you plan to achieve them.
- Complete reflection journals.
- Complete the final paper and presentation.
- Write a position paper.
- Complete the final self-evaluation and have your supervisor evaluate you.
You must complete and submit your Internship 4851 Course Application to Career Services before starting your internship and no later than the Friday before classes begin in the semester in which the internship will occur. If your internship is not yet approved, your employer will need to complete an Employer/Student Agreement before your Internship Course Application can be processed. Internships that do not clearly relate to department content are referred to the department chair. When you submit your Internship Course Application to Career Services, a career advisor will confirm your approval and submit your materials to be enrolled in the course.
A complete application consists of:
- This Internship Course Application. Completing this document is a requirement.
- An Internship Employer/Student Agreement. Unless you know of a CCAD student who has done this internship before, plan on completing this document. You can always check with Career Services first to verify whether you need the document for your internship or not.
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT) from the International Student Advisor (for international students only).
Materials can be submitted to Career Services by appointment or by meeting with us during walk-in hours on Monday, Wednesday or Friday from 10am-12pm. Appointments can be scheduled on CCADcareers.com.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPROVAL OF AN INTERNSHIP
- The internship experience spans the duration of a full semester (Fall, Spring: 12-16 weeks; Summer: 8 weeks).
- The internship includes at least 240 on-site work hours completed during the semester. "Virtual" experiences are not permitted.
- The work is directly related to your major area of study.
- There is a supervisor to guide you throughout the entire internship.
- The supervisor is an industry professional within your major area of study or has comparable experience.
- You and the supervisor outline and define learning objectives to complete during the internship.
- The supervisor completes an end-term evaluation of you.
STUDENT ELIGIBILITY AND POLICIES
- You agree to complete all coursework.
- You agree to represent CCAD professionally and conduct yourself with respect and dignity.
- You agree to request supervisor feedback and a formal evaluation prior to the due date, regardless of the internship's end date.
- You agree to maintain at least a 2.0 GPA.
- You agree to pay for tuition for each internship credit. If a student enrolled in Internship 4851 does not hold full-time student status during the term in which the internship occurs, tuition is charged on a per-credit basis; additional charges are incurred for each credit hour above 18.
- An intern may be terminated at any time. If asked to leave a position, you agree to do so in a calm, professional manner and to inform your Internship 4851 instructor and the Office of Career Services within three business days.
- Internship start/end dates may not align with academic semesters. If an internship begins before a semester's midterm, you may enroll that semester by applying and receiving approval prior to that semester's add deadline; after the semester midterm, you may enroll the following semester by applying and receiving approval prior to starting the internship.
Co-ops are an extended, immersive version of an internship that result in a minimum 640 work hours and may span the length of one semester or more. Because of the high volume of hours required, co-ops may replace certain classes within your academic plan. As such, co-op opportunities should align with your academic requirements and should only replace classes related to the work of the co-op. A full time co-op (640 minimum hours worked) can potentially be approved for 12-15 credit hours. Partial co-ops (320 minimum hours/6 credits or 480 minimum hours/9 credits) may be approved on a case-by-case basis.
If you’re interested in pursuing a co-op position, please speak with Career Services to discuss the process for approval. Appointments can be scheduled on CCADCareers.com, by calling 614-222-4045, or by stopping by our office on the 1st floor of DSB during business hours. You can also discuss co-op opportunities during walk-in hours on Monday, Wednesday or Friday between 10am and 12pm.