CCAD Possibilities: this grad's illustrations bring brands to life

adam koon with work

Adam Koon’s (Advertising & Graphic Design, 2013) illustrations help bring brands to life, whether they’re on the walls at Shake Shack, cans of Budweiser, or to-go bags at Porano, a St. Louis fast-casual pasta spot. We talked to him recently about his work.

Tell us about your career path.

I started in St. Louis, a great smaller city to start making a name for myself. I was able to take on bigger clients here and build my portfolio before moving to New York.

Q&A

What was it like designing art for a pasta restaurant?

We were given the task of completely branding the restaurant — and it was a huge undertaking. I had to really think about how my illustrations would work inside the restaurant space as well as on print materials.

What has been your biggest success so far?

Shake Shack has been my highest-profile project. I do wall murals and art installations inside their restaurants, and I’ve done illustrations for totes and other items.

What are you working on now? And what’s your next project?

I’m working with Much Creative on branding a new brewery, Provincetown Brewery in Massachusetts. I tend to take whatever comes my way. I’ve been doing a lot of work with children’s books, as well.

adam koon work

Personal work. 

adam koon work

Design for Shake Shack St. Louis.

adam koon for shake shack

A large scale installation for Shake Shack Times Square. 

adam koon with work

Mural for Shake Shack Staten Island. 

adam koon work

Personal work. 

adam koon work

Collaboration with MLB and Budweiser on a can design to represent St. Louis and The Cardinals. Images provided by Adam Koon. 

Learn more about Adam Koon’s work for Porano and others, including the NYC Marathon, and learn more about CCAD’s Advertising & Graphic Design program.