Time for me: Things to do in Columbus other than homework

By Colleen Clark

Last weekend, I went to Ohio State University’s Wexner Center for the second time. Everyone who grew up near Columbus and has even a casual interest in art probably thinks that’s blasphemy, but because I’m from out of town, I had no idea how cool it is.

The Wex always has unique exhibitions, movie showings, artist talks, and performances. The show I saw was Niwa Gekidan Penino’s The Room Nobody Knows, and it was written and performed by Japanese artists with English subtitles. I had never seen anything like it. After the show, I realized how much more I want to indulge in the fun, weird Columbus events out there. I asked a few friends where they go and did some research to show you how CCAD students get out and about.

Studio 35: If you’re looking for something fun to do on that first Saturday and you’re not 21 or you just love old classic cult movies, you should stop by Clintonville’s Studio 35 for their monthly midnight screening of Rocky Horror Picture Show. When I was in high school, I used to go to these all the time. The fans are loud and crazy, and the movie is incredibly awful in the best possible way, if you haven’t seen it. Everyone should go to see it in a theater full of fans at least once. From what I hear, this theater is one of the only ones around in Ohio that still does regular midnight showings. Studio 35 also screens first-run movies (indy and mainstream), hosts regular "bad movie" nights, screens some local sports and local films, and serve pizza.

Grilled Cheese: That’s right, grilled cheese gets its own category on this list. Which is a little strange, because I have never actually tried grilled cheese in my life (please put down your torches, I’m not a big fan of cheese). Apparently though, Columbus LOVES it. Melt, a restaurant that opened in November in the Short North Arts District, specializes completely in unique grilled cheese recipes. With menu specials like “The Wookiee” and “The Glazed and Very Confused Donut Bacon Melt,” Melt manages to make grilled cheese into an experience. I have heard so much about this place that I might just have to try one of these sandwiches for the first time. Bodega, a Short North bar with an award-winning happy-hour special, is another top spot on the list of Columbus hangouts. During their happy hour, grilled cheeses are only one dollar. Anyone can afford that, even college students.

Newport and the LC: The Newport Music Hall and the Lifestyle Communities Pavilion are two awesome places to see concerts close to downtown Columbus. Last summer I went to the annual Summerfest at the LC, where I got to see Matt & Kim and The Cold War Kids. In the past, the LC has been visited by Lynard Skynard, The Goo Goo Dolls, Melissa Etheridge, Smashing Pumpkins, and a ton more! I always hear about my friends going to the Newport, because lots of up-and-coming bands perform there. Shows coming up include Bombay Bicycle Club, Bastille, and The Naked and Famous. Keep an eye out for when they announce shows, because a night at one of these concerts is sure to make a good memory.

Kafé Kerouac: Kafé Kerouac is artsy paradise. They’re open late, they sell local goods, used books, coffee, and they always have fun stuff to do. Tuesday is game night, Wednesday is poetry slam and open mic night, and Thursday is comedy night. I worry that I’m not cool enough for all that culture packed into one space, so I’ve never gone, but I’ve been meaning to. When asking around about fun places to go though, a lot of my friends mentioned Kerouac because of the great music and poetry they’ve heard there. It could also be a great place to go to sit and read or study if you want to get out but still want to be productive or by yourself.

Ace of Cups (21+): Ace of Cups is one of many little pubs in Columbus where you can see music and eat good food. Their Facebook page has an impressive calendar of events, like Friday karaoke and lots of concerts. I’ve heard awesome things about their Heatwave dance on the first Saturday of every month. Described on their page as an “all-vinyl dance party spinning Motown/Garage Rock/Mod/R&B/Soul/Oldies,” I really don’t see how you can go wrong. There’s something for everyone. It’s a huge dance party full of nostalgia.

Even though I grew up in a big, cultural city, I find that Columbus continues to surprise me with how unique its events and people are. There is always, ALWAYS something to do. Even though I’m usually sitting around watching Netflix when I get time to myself, I know that I can walk out of my apartment and find something fun to do whenever I'm in the mood.

Colleen Clark is a senior majoring in Illustration who enjoys looking at photos of dogs online, following NBC comedy series (specifically anything involving Tina Fey), and sharing her art and thoughts through her online blog.