Art Fair preview: sharp leather looks are in the bag

Over the coming days, we're introducing some of the talented Columbus College of Art & Design students and alumni whose work will be available for purchase at the Art Fair on Saturday, April 1. Find other entries in the series here, here, here, and here.

Fashion Design, black and white image of Jessica Driscoll from waist up, facing camera, not smiling

Jessica Driscoll (Fashion Design, 2014) learned about her love for leather goods as a student at CCAD. Now she’s back for her second Art Fair, where she’ll be selling a variety of goods under the label JESSICA DRISCOLL Leather. Her handbags and backpacks, as well as leather accessories such as suspenders, chokers, keychains, and more, are priced to move at $30 to $350; Driscoll will share a table with a current CCAD student, Wesley Mills (Fashion Design, 2018).

Read more from Driscoll below, and find additional examples of her work on her website or on Instagram.

Fashion Design, Image of black handbag with silver hardware and studs on white background

What’s the philosophy, or perspective behind your work?

My goal when designing any bag or accessory is function first, then figure out how to make it look amazing. I spend time using every bag prototype to see how it feels, see if there’s anything that is frustrating to use, and to make sure the way I assembled the bag is sturdy. I love metal accents, so I use a lot of different hardware on my bags, especially buckles and studs. Overall, I try to keep the shapes and other accents pretty minimal since all the metal hardware can be very eye catching.

Fashion Design, Close up Image of black hand bag with silver hardware and name plate on white background

Why did you want to participate in the CCAD Art Fair?

The Art Fair is one of my favorite ways to continue to interact with and be a part of the CCAD community as an alumna. I love seeing all of the variety of work on display. It’s always awesome to be selected for a juried show, and the Art Fair is no exception!

Fashion Design, Image of black of four leather key rings with silver hardware on white background

How has your CCAD education influenced the work you will be offering for sale?

I learned about my love for leather while I was at CCAD. I did an independent study where I focused on learning to work with leather, in addition to handbag design, and without that opportunity, I don’t think I would be making and selling handbags now.

________

CCAD Art Fair 2017

Saturday, April 1, 2017

First Look: 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.

General Admission: 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.

Loann Crane Center for Design (at the corner of Cleveland Avenue and Gay Street)

Parking is free. Tickets are available at the door. First Look costs $20; General Admission costs $5. Proceeds from ticket sales benefit CCAD student programming.